Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cuddle Sessions Are Bonding Sessions

The most important thing you can do to have the best pet relationship with you hedgie (besides cleaning and feeding) is to cuddle him. Every night I scoop Phinneus out and coax him out of his ball. Then we spend time cuddling, exploring, or watch movies together. I have a towel set aside just for him that he recognizes by scent and which he can crawl in and fall asleep. This allows me to have him with me, but stationary, so that I can shift and move while on the computer, watching movies, etc.
Hedgehogs like to smell things, and they are much happier when they recognize what they smell. That's why it's important to have a towel Phin knows, or some fleece in his travel cage that he feels comfortable with.
Bonding may take a long time, or it may not. I was lucky, and Phinneus warmed up fairly quickly. He is a little explorer most of the time, but some nights he just likes to crawl into the crook of my arm and settle down for a snooze. Being in my lap is another favorite of his, and so buried deep in the towel and firmly wedged in my lap is where he is usually to be found during our movie watching nights. It is just so very pleasant to watch scary movies with a cute little critter next to you. It reminds me how lucky I am to be out here while those poor people are in that movie.

On a final note, Phinneus took to his new CSW with no trouble whatsover. It is covered in poo each morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment