Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Trip To The Vet

Today was trip to the vet #2 because I convinced myself that Phinneus was wormy. I also wanted to make sure he wasn't having a raging case of mites or anything...so mostly this was an expensive way to assuage my hypochondriac fears. The vet said he was at a good weight (295 g), looked healthy, and sounded healthy. She did the fecal sample and found nothing, which doesn't rule out worms %100 but was good to do anyway. Then she gave me a choice of doing a skin scraping- literally scraping a layer of skin off akin to a slight abrasion- and looking for mites, or going ahead with a Revolution Kitten/Puppy treatment without the scrape. I chose to just do the Revolution, partly because of finances, and partly because not only would it get rid of mites but the vet said it would also kill internal parasites. Unfortunately there is no market for hedgehog drugs and no medical research done, so most of the medication they receive is kitten medication meted out in smaller doses. This means that they cannot be totally sure of the effects. I was told to keep an eye on Phin on the way home in case he became lethargic (which I found annoyingly vague because he's a sleeping hedgehog during the day!) which would indicate a negative reaction. In that case I was to rinse off the rest of the medication...and hope for the best? Again, annoyingly vague. Anyway, no negative reaction and hopefully one healthier hedgehog.

No comments:

Post a Comment