Sunday, August 1, 2010

Phinneus and Pherb


This is the story of how a hamster fell into my lap. Yesterday my boyfriend (Matt) forgot that it was Saturday and so we went to move his car so he wouldn't get a ticket. When we moved it we saw a rummage sale, and at that rummage sale Matt spotted a critter cage. I tried to walk away, I even got a few feet past the driveway, but then I turned around and went to investigate. They were selling a perfect little cage (the kind with a plastic bottom and a wire top) complete with wheel, water bottle, and tiny igloo. It was all $5. From the moment I saw the tiny igloo, I was sold. So then I went on craigslist, found an appealing ad, and had the deal sealed within an hour and half, via smart phone. I made the deal while I was in a movie theater seeing Inception, actually. After the movie Matt, his dad, and I stopped and picked up the hamster, who I have named Pherb, after the cartoon Phineas and Ferb. He is a Winter White Russian which means that he will change his colors to a white and grey pattern in the winter, and then back again to grey and black in the summer. I have informed Phin that he has a brother/hamster, and likewise for Pherb, but I am keeping the two strictly apart. Pherb is a sweet little tuft of grey and black fur, who currently has Matt completely smitten with him. They are cuddling together as I write this.

In less adorable news, I found what I suspect to be a worm (Ack! Nooo! Arrrgh! Blaaarf!) on Phinneus's wheel and so I am going to call and get him a vet appointment to get a fecal sample and a check-up asap. For anyone considering owning a hedgehog it is important to remember A) to have a rainy day-vet fund and B) any pocket money you have saved up for something special (i.e. a trip or someone's birthday) WILL be spent on the hedgehog.
Phinneus was extra-cuddly tonight. Snuggle bug :)

No comments:

Post a Comment