Friday, December 24, 2010

Post Vet Visit and The Eve of Christmas



Phin's vet visit, I am happy to report, went very well! He behaved himself quite nicely even though we had a long sit in the exam room before the vet came in. During this time he busied himself with my shirt, which he licked and nibbled and tugged, and then anointed himself with. Good Phin, I definitely want the vet to see you with spit all over your back. But I digress. Phinneus behaved himself very admirably for someone who was being poked and prodded and having cold metal instruments pressed against them. The vet reported that Phin's was the best hedgehog heartbeat he had ever heard! Then he said Phin's lungs sounded good and he looked healthy, but just in case the runny nose were to turn into a more serious condition, he prescribed a round of antibiotics to be given twice daily for five days. Let me tell you, trying to syringe 7.5 ML of sticky pink medicine into a uncooperative hedgehog is a major battle. It always ends up in his eyes, stuck to his forehead, or dribbling down his chest. Good grief, my guinea pig Yossarian had the same round of antibiotics and loved it. Yossi is now a veritable drug fiend. Phinneus, why can't you love drugs as much as your step-different-species brother Yossi?

Well today is also Christmas Eve- yay! I do love Christmas time more than any other time of the year. It really is the most wonderful. Even though Phinneus is Jewish and has had his holiday, I still plan to lavish him with mealworms tonight as a little feat. Matt brought Pherb with him when he came, and Pherb shall be lavished with treats also! Shoot, I just realized that I forgot to get Pherb some Christmas presents! Oh well, I am sure a nice square or two of toilet paper and some fruits will be plenty for him. He's a nice, simple boy...unlike some I know.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear you lil guy is ok.. I would be devastated if my lil guy was sick.. I love reading your blog about Phinneus..we had name our guy that but everytime we would say the ss in it he would get scared so he has been renamed to Cocoa Puff..he is a chocolate color and puffs alot :)

    ReplyDelete