Thursday, December 9, 2010

In Memory of Suzie, the Lost Hamster

Not too long ago I bought myself a hamster as an early holiday present. I didn't mean to- that is, I saw her and learned her background, and just couldn't leave her. Suzie was a white Teddy bear hamster who was born without eyes. She was very soft, very sweet, and very adventurous. She had the most perfect pink feet and delicate little ears. Sadly, yesterday (Wednesday) I noticed signs of illness in her which pointed to the dread Wet Tail, which is a form of serious diarrhea. When I first noticed I did not realize what a dire situation she was in, and since I was booked solid for the day with classes, projects, and work I did not have time to take her to the vet. Matt offered to pick up some medicine, syringe her water, and monitor her on some fresh, clean bedding in a hamster "ICU". He was an excellent nurse and cared for her while I was away at work. Unfortunately it was too much for little Suzie and she passed away around 5.20 in the evening while Matt was holding her.
We didn't have Suzie for very long, but while we did she was a wonderful and benign little ball of fuzz who loved her wheel and loved to be taken out of her cage to explore. She was named by my friend Emily after the main character in the play 'Wait Until Dark' who is blind and who ends up saving the day.
Suzie will be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment