Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Sweet Hedgepiggy, and a Word on Bedding

More about Phinneus: As I wrote before I have been lucky to get a hedgehog who was both healthy and socialized. This is probably because he came from a single breeder who sold to a pet store and not a mill. The breeder sent along several packets of the Katz-n-Flocken, since he had been feeding his hedgies that. It worries me why a small breeder would sell a good animal to a pet store...but so. Phinneus is coming (I think) to the end of his quilling period. This a period on a hoglets life that, "typically at 2-3 weeks, 5 weeks, and 8-12 weeks of age," (hedgehogworld.com). For a while Phin would drop quills everywhere he went and I have found them (painfully, sometimes) in the carpet, all over his cage, and even in the bathtub. Hedgehogs have been known to go through radical personality changes as they emerge from their final quilling. Kind of like when a child becomes a grumpy teenager and then ends up being a completely different adult person. Anyway, Phin has not changed, thank goodness. He remains good natured and curious. He likes to explore, and only cuddles up to people when he is tired or scared. Oh, he has his good days and bad days like everybody else, but mostly he is his own sweet self. For this, I thank whatever hedgehog genes he has going for him and count myself lucky to have him.

Now for a more practical note. Since this blog is about being a first time owner and my trials and tribulations I wanted to write about the different types of bedding I have explored. I bought a TON of aspen bedding when I got Phinneus. I have had various other "pocket pets" before and used aspen for all of them, and so I didn't even think that maybe hedgehogs had different bedding needs than gerbils and guinea pigs. That seemed fine for a little while, but then I wanted to make extra sure that my guy was having the good life so I bought what I considered a luxury for him- Carefresh. This too worked well enough, but it was ultra messy and stinky. I watched to make sure he didn't eat it (many hedgies have been known to eat their bedding and get bowel obstructions). He didn't- picky eater. I grew unsatisfied with this and also noticed that he was leaving puffs of dandruff. About this time I joined the Hedgehog Central forums and found out that FLEECE was the actually the best bedding choice. It does not dry out skin and had no loose threads for them to get tangled in. It also eliminates mess and stink (if changed regularly) and cuts down on the costs of bedding. So I found some cheap fleece, cut it into the appropriate size and voila! Phinneus and I have been pleased ever since. If you are interested in this method you can usually find some good deals at places like Hancock Fabrics, Jo~Ann Fabrics, or Michael's. Light colored liners are the best because then you can keep an eye out for blood or oddly colored urine/feces.

Phinneus has woken up to snack as I write this so I am off to observe and cuddle him :)

No comments:

Post a Comment