Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Flaxseed and...Adventure?



Upon the advice of some knowledgeable hedgie people at Hedgehog Central I have now started giving Phinneus regular amounts of flax seed oil for his skin by way of pouring it over his kibble. I am going to do this three times a week and hope to see improvement in his skin. I was also informed that hedgehogs have chronically dry skin- just part of the breed- and not to worry too much. Whew! I do have a tendency to overreact to anything that might in any way possible be health related when it comes to my hedgehog.
* A helpful note about giving flax seed oil: If you put too much on a hedgie's skin it might irritate him and causing scratching. Also, be sure to buy it in capsule form as they are easy (and fun!) to break open, and last a long time, as opposed to a bottle of flax seed oil, which doesn't.

Now for the fun stuff! I decided to take Phinneus out on an "adventure" yesterday to the boardwalk. Partly because I thought he might enjoy it, partly because I knew it would yield great photos (it did), and partly because I needed to get outside. For his part, Phin did a wee bit of exploring, but mostly tried to hide under me or local plant life. He also found what must have been a *fascinating* piece of boardwalk because he licked it for a while and then anointed with it. For those who are not familiar with anointing here is a link to a definition from hedgehog wiki. Photos from the event will be in the thumbnails from flickr above.

Finally, no word from the zoo yet :(

No comments:

Post a Comment