Thursday, July 8, 2010

Flaky Skin? An Oatmeal Bath Is Just The Thing!

Phinneus has been getting flakier and flakier skin. Dry skin like this in hedgehogs can be due to mites (which are a very common affliction in the hedgie world), fungal or bacterial infection, dry air, or bad diet. Add quilling on top of that and a poor little hedgehog could be in for a rough time. Since the vet took a topical skin sample from behind Phin's ears and saw no mites, it is unlikely that they are the cause. Humidity has been soaring this summer, so that is out. Also, since Phin hasn't lost vast amounts of quills and isn't showing any bald patches, I'm thinking that he just has been lacking in diet. He is, after all, extremely picky about food. I added a new food to his mix- Blue Buffalo Spa Select for Mature Cats. This will be slowly integrated with is mix of Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken, and Wellness Kitten Food. He also gets Innova kibbles and Wellness wet cat food as treats. Here is a wonderful comprehensive list of quality cat foods based on their top ingredients. I have heard that even picky hedgehogs enjoy watermelon, so I will try that too.
On top of this diet change I took the advice of hedgehog care veterans and bought some Aveeno Oatmeal Bath formula. There is a great article here that I referenced before I went ahead and dunked Phinneus in the tub. I filled the tub with warm (not hot!) water that came up a little above Phin's tummy. Not so much that he would panic and think he was drowning. I used most of the packet of oatmeal in the water and broke up the clumps with my hand. Phin remained surprisingly calm as I poured the water over his back and gently swished him around. He did poop. A LOT. But this is a common thing for hedgies to do during bath time, as few of them actually enjoy baths. I also made sure to get his poopy feet (jokingly referred to as "poop boots")nice and clean. No doubt by morning they will be filthy again.
I held Phinneus until he was completely dry, bribing him with treats, and then I put some flax seed oil on his food. It can be good to put flax seed oil directly onto the hedgehog after a bath, but that last time I tried that Phin scratched until he bled. So this time I just doused his kibble with it and added some freeze dried worms for good measure.
Now to wait and see if his skin improves. If not...then it is time for another trip to the vet. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment